The other day I joked on Facebook and Twitter that I must have accidentally put my undies on the outside when I got dressed that morning, because I was feeling bulletproof. Amazingly, the feeling has persisted. I feel strong, capable, energetic (well, most of the time), and almost exclusively POSITIVE. Not that I've was exactly dragging my butt around in a miserable funk prior to this or anything, but there is a noticeable change for the better.
I've been thinking about the reasons why and here's what I've come up with:
- I'm doing more exercise than I've done for a long while.
- I'm exercising consistently. None of that "Ouch, my back/shoulder/whatever hurts. Poor me, I'll have to skip training".
- I haven't had a single glass of wine since the 28th January. I know, sainthood is practically guaranteed, right?
- I've been monitoring my coffee intake and am sticking to two cups a day, with the odd third cup on a weekend. No "Oops, that was my seventh cup. How did that happen?"
- My meals have been packed full of veggies and fruit and 99% free of any packaged, processed stuff for about four weeks now.*
- My injury treatment has shifted more towards strengthening weak muscles with some Pilates Reformer work than hands-on hurty stuff - and I like it!
There's a big bonus from being in such a good place physically: it makes it so much easier to develop some mental strength as well. Every time that voice in my head says "I can't" when faced with an exercise activity, I tell it to shut up and give it a try anyway. Most of the time, it's wrong. I'm sick of listening to that whiney biatch. I'm stomping on the negative thoughts and telling myself something positive instead, yeah!
Yesterday I even stepped into the squat rack for the first time in months. I got through one set of standard barbell squats, but holding the bar in place was really too painful for my shoulders. Not to worry; I just changed to front squats instead. I even did some arm training - my physio has cleared me to train biceps and even triceps, as long as I pick my exercises carefully. Today I'm having some slight difficulty straightening my arms. Happy face -> :o)
I've always known that the foods we choose to eat have a huge effect on our bodies and minds, but I've never before noticed such a startling result in such a short time. Has anyone else experienced anything similar when cleaning up their nutrition?
*Yes, I fell right off the Gorgeous Skin wagon, but I'm back on it again. Shut up.